Saturday, May 14, 2011

Eargasam (Or My Lack There Of)

This shit is just crazy....

Oh course, my dude Skyzoo is doing the damn thang, rhyming like he don't have a fan in the world & have nothing to lose, but I really think it's this beat (for the lack of a better word) that's got me playing this non-stop for the past few days.  At the start, it seems as though it's like an Advent guard song, with all the different instruments coming with a few notes and apart from each other, then coming to together to create a symphony, almost mimicking the Superman theme from the movies at the end.  Especially those horns hitting those notes, followed by the few piano taps.  Those sounds are haunting me a bit.

Got no solid source right now on who's behind this production, but I think I read Mr. 9th Wonder-ful Tunes name thrown somewhere.  If so... #tippingmyhat

This is the type of thing that gets me a bit excited about music that's coming out, and I ain't felt that way in quite a while.

The thing is, I don't know if it's me or the music.  I WAITED for quite some years before Saigon was able to drop The Greatest Story Never Told;  thinking to myself the whole time "can this guy really bring out the kind of classic that's been lacking in hip-hop nowadays?"; and when he finally drops it earlier this year, I did what a loyal fan did & bought the album.  But I'll be damned if I know if it was worth it....since I STILL haven't sat down & listened to it yet.

My Twitter buddy Shawn Pryor gave me a heads up for this former Kells fan, telling me Love Letter is the return of R. Kelly.  When he told me that, you would think such a announcement would send me running to iTunes, ready to download this bitch, but you'd be wrong.  Jumping into unheard music is one of the things old school Chuck E was known for (hell, it was my middle name), but now the shit just scares me away.  Never the money aspect;  there isn't an album out there that usually doesn't cost less than what I'm spending on lunch today #scarystatement #perspective; but the idea of having yet another huge body of music art-work (see what I just did there?) laying in my hard drive, never to be listened to by my ears causes me to be sad at no end.  Especially when you think of all the different ways to achieve such a goal nowadays.  I'm not limited to making sure I bring my tape Walkman everywhere with me, is what I'm sayin'....

So what is the enemy?  WHAT IS EVIL FORCE THAT DRIVING SUCH A HUGE & MOTIVATING PLEASURE OUT OF MY LIFE?!?....

...well, a normal person on the outside would point to me and blame my total lack of discipline & need to prioritize.  But I'm not going to take that.  No, I'm going to blame time.

I have a job.  And that job requires me to interact with other actual human beings 100% of the time.  And I no longer have a car stereo in my work truck, just the huge amount of noise that comes from actually running the old piece of shit.  That, in itself, may be music to some one's ears, but I prefer a little more DJ Premier in my mix.

Oh, and I bought the new Musiq album the other day & I still haven't listened to that yet.  Sigh.

So when I saw I'm looking forward to the new Skyzoo, what am I saying?  Can't wait to download and not listen?  Ready to give money out so willingly to own, not enjoy, new music? 

Or should I just stop worrying, drop out, tune in & listen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment